Below is the draft Text for review wiht the St Johnsbury Select Board regarding Tobacco Use on Town Property. This ordinance is currently in draft form only for discussion with the Board. The Board will be reviewing this during their regular Select Board meeting on September 10.
Based on input the Board can consider adopting this ordinance in a Special Select Board Meeting at a later date. A tentative date for that has been set for September 24 at 5:00 PM
Section 9-26 Town Owned Parks:
|Park Name||Parcel ID||Location|
|Arnold Park||1V 100902||Main Street and Mt Pleasant St.|
|Chet Buck Park||1V 041942||Concord Ave and Portland St.|
|Depot Square Park||1V 136043||51 Depot Square (Welcome Center and Depot Square Park)|
|Four Season’s Park||1V100096||Main Street and Winter Street|
|Old Concord Ave Park||1V 041935||Concord Ave and Old Concord Ave|
|Fred Mold Park||1V041968||Concord Ave (Fishing Pier)|
|Maple Street Park||1V 101907||Maple Street and North Ave|
|Peter Polly Park||013056982||US Route 2 E (East St J)|
|Ramsey Park||1V 131944||Concord Ave and Pleasant St.|
|South Park||1V 120699||Fairbanks Drive|
|Town Forest||Almshouse Road|
Section 9-27 Tobacco Use prohibitions at Town Owned Parks and Town Property.
(a) Purpose. The purpose of this section is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare by prohibiting use of tobacco products, including smokeless tobacco, smoking/vaping and second hand smoke/vape in areas of town parks and Town owned property where people congregate and assemble for recreation, leisure and other purposes.
(1) "Tobacco products, and/or cannabis/marijuana products, substitutes and/or alternatives" shall mean smokeless tobacco, chewing tobacco, snuff, as well as cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, vapor cigarettes, cigars, cheroots, stogies, refuse scraps, clippings, cuttings and sweepings of tobacco and/or cannabis/marijuana and other kinds and forms of tobacco prepared in a manner suitable for smoking in a pipe and/or vape device or otherwise or for smoking.
(2) "Tobacco Use" shall mean possession of lighted tobacco products and/or cannabis/marijuana products, substitutes and/or alternatives including vaping. “Tobacco Use” shall also mean use of smokeless tobacco products such as chewing tobacco, snuff or other smokeless tobacco products, where the product is placed in the gum, mouth, nose or otherwise placed in contact with the skin.
(3) "Parks" shall mean all parks within the Town limits as enumerated under Section9-26.
(4) “Town Owned Property” shall mean all property owned fee simple by the Town of St Johnsbury within the Town Limits excluding roads and sidewalks.
(c) Prohibited. Except as otherwise provided herein, tobacco use is prohibited at all town parks, buildings, parking lots, playgrounds, shelters, beaches, picnic tables, piers, bleachers and athletic fields. These locations, and to be buffered by an additional twenty-five (25) feet beyond their physical boundaries, shall be designated as tobacco-free areas. The use of tobacco products, and/or cannabis/marijuana products, substitutes and/or alternatives in any form is prohibited in the above referenced tobacco-free areas.
(d) Posting; supervision. The Town shall properly post and maintain "No Tobacco Use" clearly and conspicuously throughout the designated tobacco-free areas.
(1) Any person convicted of a violation or violations of this section shall be subject to a civil penalty, the fine for which shall be no less than fifty dollars ($50.00) and no more than two hundred dollars ($200.00), with a waiver penalty of fifty dollars ($50.00), for each such violation.
(2) All municipal officials duly authorized to issue Vermont Municipal Complaints are authorized to issue complaints for violations of this section.
2018 Consumer Confidence Report
This report is a snapshot of the water quality the St. Johnsbury Water Filtration Plant and Public Works Dept. produced and delivered in 2017. Included are the details about where your water comes from, what it contains, and how it compares to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state standards. We are committed to providing you with this information because informed customers are our best allies. Click here to view or download the 2018 Water System Consumer Confidence Report.